Originally created by a German manufacturer and purchased by the Timber Engineering Company (TECO) in 1934, split rings were TECO’s first foray into timber connectors. Split rings are used in many large timber assemblies, from bridges to timber framed structures.
The Timber Engineering Company still exists but no longer manufactues split rings. In 1992, the Fastening and Connector Division was sold to Cleveland Steel Specialty Company of Ohio. With Cleveland Steel ceasing business operations in 2020, Portland Bolt purchased their remaining stock and is now the premier supplier of split rings, shear plates, spike grids, and installation tools.